NOTICE: FORUMS MOVING

Thank you for visiting and participating in the Video.js forums. We are currently moving the forums to Stack Overflow and GitHub Issues. If you have a question or need help with Video.js, please post your question on Stack Overflow and add the tag 'video.js'. If you've found a specific bug in Video.js, please submit it in the issues tracker.

You can read more about this move on the blog.

VideoJs Version 3 doesn't work on IE7 / IE8

Tom Dunstan

11 Jan, 2012 05:41 PM

Hi

We are attempting to upgrade to v3, and cannot get video working on IE7 / IE8. FF / Chrome / IE9 work fine, with both flash and html5 as the default tech.

Also, the video on the home page of videojs.com doesn't work for us here when using IE7 / IE8, so I presume that it isn't just some error in configuration at our end.

Any ideas? Does v3 really not work with IE7 / IE8?

Thanks

Tom

Showing the most recent page of comments. View the first page

1. 62 Posted by Emily on 25 Feb, 2012 12:25 AM

Here is the URL, so nobody has to scroll way back:
    http://dsi.gs/dev/kauaigrown/video-test.html

2. 63 Posted by Tom Gleason on 27 Feb, 2012 06:06 PM

Does v3 really not work with IE7 / IE8? It seems to work on IE8 for me now, but I still get a black box on IE7.

3. 64 Posted by Florian on 05 Apr, 2012 02:49 PM

I have some machines running flash 10.0.45.2 (Win7 and Vista) in the office and they all don't show the player in IE8/IE7. Updating to the newest version helps, but there might be users still having old flash versions...

4. 65 Posted by Darren on 20 Apr, 2012 12:37 PM

Hey guys,

I'm having the same issue many have been reporting:

"Error #1065: Variable ContextMenuClipboardItems is not defined."

I've tried running a video in IE7 with the debug version of Flash Player 10 and I get an error popup. I have done some digging around and discovered that BrightCove is plagued with the same problems. The BrightCove team seemed to have resolved the issue by enclosing the code that sets up their context menu in a try/catch block.

I've used SWF Decompiler to look at the Actionscript in the video-js.swf file and the context menu is being set in the VideoJS#init() method. Is there anyway I can get access to the Actionscript source and the Flash builder project used to build the SWF so that I can try this solution out? I need a fix for this urgently.

5. 66 Posted by Jon on 24 Apr, 2012 09:09 AM

We are having the same issues too, The page is taking ages to load then when it does it only plays the sound.... http://www.coachworks-consulting.com/testimonial-sherwoods.htm

Thanks

6. 67 Posted by Dominik Habichtsberg on 29 Apr, 2012 01:18 PM

Line #3560:

_V_.flash.isSupported = function(){
      return _V_.flash.version()[0] >= 10;
      // return swfobject.hasFlashPlayerVersion("10");
    };

I never update my Flash Version for Internet Explorer cause I regular don't use it.
    Version Internet-Explorer: 9.0.28

Because Flash-installations are browser-specific it's no wonder that you can search like hell if Safari is running with flash but uses the version 11.2.202.

I'll try to fix it by adding another flash-player cause this player seems not to run with flash 9

7. 68 Posted by Kevin on 29 Apr, 2012 09:58 PM

Hi all,
    I'm having the same problem albeit in a slightly different way to others in this discussion.

I've got several videos using the player on a site which work fine in the usual Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE9 etc...

Oddly enough though the videos seem to work perfectly ok in IE7.

IE8, I've had various feedback on. Some people say that when they go to the video pages all they see is a black rectangle and then nothing, whereas I goto the first video page and it plays fine, but any video's after that I get the same black rectangle.
    Clear the cache/history and the video on screen starts playing, next video black rectangle...clear cache, it's fine....etc....

I've had to move to Vimeo as a short term solution, but would really like to get this problem sorted as there's functions on the site that uses the video and they have also had to be disabled.

Has a solution been found for this issue?

8. 69 Posted by Netfilmx on 03 May, 2012 07:40 AM

Hi guys!,

The only problem with IE is what "preload" tag is not supported yet.

DON´T TOUCH THE JAVA, DON´T TOUCH THE FLASH, only put correctly the markup like this:

[ controls preload=none ] > quit off the [] > controls preload=none

Make that and all be gone well =)

Re: Emily, for example put an code with preload="auto".

Best regards!

9. 70 Posted by Kevin on 03 May, 2012 08:44 AM

Thanks for the reply Netfilmx.
    I may be missing something, but the controls preload aren't currenly in [ ] tags.
    Are you saying they should be?

In my case, here's the line where the controls are stated:

is that then incorrect?

Thanks again.

10. 71 Posted by Kevin on 03 May, 2012 08:49 AM

Sorry, about the above post...I didn't realise I couldn't post html.
    Let's try again....

(open tag) video id="testvideo" class="video-js vjs-default-skin" controls preload="auto" width="822" height="454" poster="/images/videos/farmersatwork.jpg" data-setup='{}' (close tag)

11. 72 Posted by Darren on 03 May, 2012 11:12 AM

UPDATE:(TL; DR; Test the unminified videojs 3.X source file in IE9 but set the browser mode to be IE7/8 and you'll notice script errors. Solve them by passing the problematic global functions to the videojs wrapper function as arguments)

I discovered what the issue was. In my case there were some weird bugs in the Version 3 JS code. So what I did was I downloaded the unminified source file and ran it through IE 7/8 and I discovered there were functions that were being called that didn't actually exist in scope. I thought this to be completely strange, so I kept digging. It turned it to be whenever event's were being triggered several global functions did not exist! To fix this what I did was pass the missing global functions into the videojs wrapper function as arguments, in order to guarantee the wrapper function had local versions of the global functions it was trying to call. This did the trick.

I don't have the code on hand right now, but when I get to work I'll post back with the snippets I changed. Off the top of my head though, I had to pass in: Date, setTimeout, parseFloat, and I believe a few others.

NOTE/ADVICE: (TL;DR; Put all script tags in the head tag when loading an iframe on the iPad.)

I was trying to load several videos via videojs in an iframe-modal on the iPad and desktop browsers (i.e. 4 videos would be initialized then I'd show/hide specific ones when they were to be played). After I fixed the problems mentioned above I was having issues with the iframe not firing its onload event in the iPad. The issue turned out to be that I had a JS file being included in the body tag. As soon as I moved all script tags into the head tag the onload event was being triggered as expected.

12. 73 Posted by mdesmond on 03 May, 2012 01:55 PM

im just getting a black screen in FF. today is the first time i've heard of video.js and wanted to try it out. i converted an mov to mp4 and the vid itself was fine so i uploaded the video and adjusted the demo page but im just getting a black screen with sound. any thoughts?

http://www.3balls.com/media/video-js/demo.html

13. 74 Posted by Darren on 03 May, 2012 02:10 PM

UPDATE: So here's the snippets I mentioned above that I had to change:

// Self-executing function to prevent global vars and help with minification ;(function(window, Date, parseFloat, Math, isNaN, undefined){ ... code // End self-executing function })(window, Date, parseFloat, Math, isNaN);

I had to add everything after 'window'. I was wrong when I mentioned 'setTimeout'. I've also attached the modified unminified video.js source file.

14. 75 Posted by Netfilmx on 04 May, 2012 07:18 AM

Hi Kevin!, sorry for the confusion, but my english sucks! xD

I just wish said: property!, no tag.

Just put

preload=none

where you put

preload="auto"

Now you understand?

You complete code will be it:

(open tag) video id="testvideo" class="video-js vjs-default-skin" controls preload=none width="822" height="454" poster="/images/videos/farmersatwork.jpg" data-setup='{}' (close tag)

Best regards!!!

15. 76 Posted by Ishmael on 14 May, 2012 08:46 PM

Our videos were being blocked as pop-ups. I right-clicked and chose 'about Flash Player' and ie7 said a pop up was being blocked. When I clicked 'allow', the flash video started playing. The question still remains why the video doesn't play right away.

16. 77 Posted by Tracy Ligon on 14 May, 2012 11:58 PM

I have the exact problem as mdesmond the sound plays but the video just doesn't. What is the fix? The same thing happens when using the TEST in the builder page.
    http://agape.ftwtexas.net/May132012videojs.html

17. 78 Posted by northern_light on 15 May, 2012 11:35 AM

I experienced trouble using IE7/IE8 with flash fallback, the falshplayer wasn't loaded at all, no object tag in the DOM. Using data-setup='{}' ie removing all the content in {} solved the problem and now it works well on both IE7 and IE8.

18. 79 Posted by rob m on 15 May, 2012 01:57 PM

I have a similar problem as Tracy Ligon. In IE7 & IE8, I hear sound, but see no video. Turns out the poster is not dissapearing, because the "play" event is not firing from the flash player. If I hide the poster in firebug lite, the video is actually playing.

This does not happen in FF with the flash fallback option turned on, only IE7 & IE8. Also, this only happens with the dev code from github, downloaded late last week. If I use an earlier version -or- the most recent CDN version, it works fine.

19. 80 Posted by Tracy Ligon on 15 May, 2012 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info... I will give the most recent CDN a try... I can run it local...

Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:58 AM
    Subject: Re: VideoJs Version 3 doesn't work on IE7 / IE8 [Problems]

20. 81 Posted by blang on 15 May, 2012 04:01 PM

--
    *Brian Lang* - IT Department
    Sovereign Management Group Inc. <http://www.smgi.ca&gt;
    <http://www.smgi.ca&gt;Proudly serving:
    Pacific Customs Brokers <http://www.pcb.ca&gt; | Pacific Overseas
    Forwarding<http://www.pacificoverseas.ca&gt;| The
    Derby Bar and Grill <http://www.derbybarandgrill.com&gt;
    [email blocked] | Office: 604.538.1566 x2905

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

21. 82 Posted by northern_light on 19 Jun, 2012 11:20 AM

Hi, all, we noticed a bug with the flash fallback on IE7 and IE8, when a page with a video loads for the first time, the video will play fine, if we reload the page using F5 or pressing enter in the URL bar its still plays fine, but if we use a link from the page itself to reload it or if we comme back via a link, it only display a black square and no poster nor video will display.
    We solve this by adding this in HTML header:
    V.options.flash.swf = 'http://' + document.domain +"/js/video-js/video-js.swf?<?php echo time(); // needed for IE7 IE8 ?>";
    It forces IE7 and IE8 to reload the flash file and it solves this issue.

22. 83 Posted by Nick_Sunny on 26 Jun, 2012 04:24 PM

Hi All

I'm a bit new to all this being a 3d person. However I've mostly got everything working bar interment player load problems in IE8. If you pardon my ignorance could I ask exactly what I should do with "V.options.flash.swf = 'http://' + document.domain +"/js/video-js/video-js.swf?<?php echo time(); // needed for IE7 IE8 ?>";" Where does it go it seems to be the last piece of the Jigsaw for me.
    Many thanks.

23. 84 Posted by northern_light on 26 Jun, 2012 06:55 PM

You need a PHP server to use this snippet the way I wrote it, the idea is changing the url each time the page loads using a random parameter to force the browser to reload the swf file. You can add this parameter in javascript too. It would be something like this:
    <script> V.options.flash.swf = 'http://' + document.domain +'/js/video-js/video-js.swf?' + Math.random();"
    </script> It overrides broswer cache but the swf file is quite light: ~9,6kb and it doesn't slow down the site for me but does the trick for IE8.
    I hope it'll help you. Sorry for my bad english, I'm just a f**king french.

24. 85 Posted by dennis on 24 Jul, 2012 12:17 AM

I'm getting a Flash error in IE8 as well. This even happens on the videojs.com home page. You can reproduce this by:
    1. use spoon.net and load an IE8 browser.
    2. Load videojs.com home page, and you get the following Flash error.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable ContextMenuClipboardItems is not defined.

at flash.ui::ContextMenu/initLinkAndClipboardProperties()
    at flash.ui::ContextMenu()
    at VideoJS/init()
    at VideoJS/onStageSizeTimerTick()
    at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
    at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

1. If you dismiss the Flash error the video will still play, however script execution stops which makes it impossible to control a document load.

An earlier post about a try catch block (copied here) in the actionScript seems like it would fix this issue.
    /BeginQuote I've tried running a video in IE7 with the debug version of Flash Player 10 and I get an error popup. I have done some digging around and discovered that BrightCove is plagued with the same problems. The BrightCove team seemed to have resolved the issue by enclosing the code that sets up their context menu in a try/catch block.
    /EndQuote

25. 86 Posted by dennis on 26 Jul, 2012 05:31 PM

I want to amend my previous post on how to reproduce this error. In fact the ActionScript error only displays if you have Flash development installed on the same machine you are using IE8. So to reproduce...

On a desktop that has Flash Developer tools installed:

1. use spoon.net and load an IE8 browser.
    2. Load videojs.com home page, and you get the following Flash error.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable ContextMenuClipboardItems is not defined.

at flash.ui::ContextMenu/initLinkAndClipboardProperties()
    at flash.ui::ContextMenu()
    at VideoJS/init()
    at VideoJS/onStageSizeTimerTick()
    at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
    at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

Knowing this I was able to focus on script errors and not the action script errors. This is fine because the majority of my site users will not have Flash development tools installed. It seems like a videojs option to catch and ignore all errors from Flash might be useful in this situation.

26. 87 Posted by Nick on 12 Jun, 2013 06:20 PM

Has this issue been resolved? I am still seeing the issues on:
    http://www.golfclubsforsale.com

27. 88 Posted by prototype on 03 Jul, 2013 04:09 PM

+ Math.random(); did the trick for me! Thank you northern_light

28. 89 Posted by g on 07 Oct, 2013 09:21 PM

I couldn't get video.js to work in IE8. I resolved this issue by using full paths rather than relative. (Include http://www.yourdomainhere.com/video/filename01.mp4 instead of just video/filename01.mp4.)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac