NOTICE: FORUMS MOVING

Thank you for visiting and participating in the Video.js forums. We are currently moving the forums to Stack Overflow and GitHub Issues. If you have a question or need help with Video.js, please post your question on Stack Overflow and add the tag 'video.js'. If you've found a specific bug in Video.js, please submit it in the issues tracker.

You can read more about this move on the blog.

IE9 doesnt play mp4 files

Avshash

29 Jul, 2011 02:49 PM

Hi there,
Can someone please advise me on how to make an mp4 video clip that will play in Internet Explorer 9?:
I see the clip "oceans-clip.mp4", which is provided in the VideoJS example, plays perfectly on Internet Explorer 9.
But once I make my own MP4 (codec: H.264 and audio AAC in MP4 container), IE9 doesn't play it ?!

Any ideas which codec I should use for IE9 to play the file properly? Is there something I'm missing?
I've checked if it's working both on-line and off-line.

1. 2 Posted by Peter on 05 Sep, 2011 06:24 AM

Long time since you posted this problem.
    But anyway.
    I've had the same error but i created a new videofile in AnyVideoConverter using Customized MP4 Movie - putting the codec settings to x264. And the video size at 480x272.
    Now i don't really know the size limit for the Iphones. But I know it is a bit higher than that. Anyway my mp4 files play great on ie9 and Iphone

2. 3 Posted by Jim on 20 Feb, 2012 04:18 PM

I've noticed through trial and error that Linux servers have no problem with playing MP4 files. Windows server is problematic, but no idea why. MIME types are all good.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me mad...

3. 4 Posted by nino on 02 Mar, 2012 11:24 PM

It make me mad too.
    I've the same problem than Avshash. Impossible to read an mp4(h264, no audio) in IE9. No one seems to have an answer to that question!!!?? incredible. I spend time on several website about html5 and video and no respons...

I pray

4. 5 Posted by RWS on 04 Mar, 2012 06:12 AM

For me the issue was that I am using the html5 boilerplate... and, in the HEAD, I had the js includes for videojs BEFORE the modernizr includes. moving the videojs include below the modernizr solved the issue for me.

5. 6 Posted by ax on 13 Mar, 2012 09:33 PM

Is it just me or is the demo on videojs.com NOT working in IE any longer? It does not look very impressive if this is true.

6. 7 Posted by Brian Irwin on 13 Mar, 2012 10:42 PM

I have the same problem. It is not working with IE 8 or 9. This is a new problem.

7. 8 Posted by ax on 13 Mar, 2012 11:06 PM

Thank you @Brian Irwin for confirming this, was losing my sanity for a minute there. So attaching a screenshot - when I visit http://videojs.com and test the player, the audio plays on the demo, but not the video. I have been trying to debug this all day, to no avail. Any ideas out there?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Aug, 2014 02:45 PM
28 Aug, 2014 06:33 AM
27 Aug, 2014 07:37 AM