NOTICE: FORUMS MOVING

Thank you for visiting and participating in the Video.js forums. We are currently moving the forums to Stack Overflow and GitHub Issues. If you have a question or need help with Video.js, please post your question on Stack Overflow and add the tag 'video.js'. If you've found a specific bug in Video.js, please submit it in the issues tracker.

You can read more about this move on the blog.

Video orientation for iphone wrong

johnnybenson

23 Apr, 2012 11:28 PM

I have a vertical (portrait) oriented video shot on an iphone. Transcoded down to 3MB h264 mp4.

It's showing up sideways, in the wrong orientation.

I was wondering if there something wrong with my transcoded video or is VideoJS unable to figure out the orientation hints ?

I did some searching in the discussions and on google and couldn't find anyone mentioning this issue.

Thanks for your help!

1. 2 Posted by Steve on 26 Apr, 2012 10:20 PM

It's how the video is encoded on iOS. So quicktime stores and plays back the correct orientation, but most players can't read this information. You have to encode the video in the correct orientation. Trying to figure out an approach myself. At one point I locked my app in one orientation, but I want use all.

2. 3 Posted by George on 08 Jun, 2012 10:31 PM

Same issue. Also happens with Android videos. Quicktime plays them all at the right orientation but videojs (and VLC for that matter) don't. Has anybody figured out a workaround? Or even better . . . are the videojs people working on a way to autodetect and play at the right orientation?

3. 4 Posted by Steve on 08 Jun, 2012 10:40 PM

On iOS use the AVFoundation apple library to encode and rotate video, just like you would with an image, video also needs to be encoded. Video Js isn't going to be able to flip video.

4. johnnybenson closed this discussion on 03 Sep, 2012 07:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

13 Sep, 2014 08:53 PM
13 Sep, 2014 03:26 PM
10 Sep, 2014 02:34 AM