NOTICE: FORUMS MOVING

Thank you for visiting and participating in the Video.js forums. We are currently moving the forums to Stack Overflow and GitHub Issues. If you have a question or need help with Video.js, please post your question on Stack Overflow and add the tag 'video.js'. If you've found a specific bug in Video.js, please submit it in the issues tracker.

You can read more about this move on the blog.

mp4 videos won't play on ipad / iphone.

Joel-H

31 Dec, 2010 11:49 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to see videos on this site, but they won't work neither on the iphone nor ipad. the url is:

http://www.ateretmordechai.org//index.php

If i download those files (mp4 - h.264) to the ipad/iphone, they play well. i guess there is something wrong with the html code.

Any help please?

Thanks a lot.

1. 1 Posted by kenmcd2003 on 31 Dec, 2010 12:44 PM

Even the Safari web browser is using the Flowplayer fallback player.
    This tells me there is an issue with the VideoJS set-up.
    So in effect there is no HTML5 player for the iDumb devices right now.

There is an issue with double slashes (i.e. //) in all your URLs.
    My guess is that this is affecting the operation of VideoJS.
    Examples:
    http://www.ateretmordechai.org//index.php
    http://www.ateretmordechai.org//video.js
    http://www.ateretmordechai.org//video-js.css
    . . . and all the other URLs too.

Check the set-up of your content management system to eliminate the double slashes.
    Then once that is fixed, if it still does not work check your VideoJS set-up again.
    Safari should be using the HTML5 player if VideoJS is set-up properly and working.

p.s. It is better to not use spaces in your media file names (or your directory names).
    This has a tendency to confuse the regex's in players.
    And makes a mess of the file name when your users save the file.

2. 2 Posted by Joel-H on 31 Dec, 2010 02:21 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I'll forward this to the developer. I hope he'll solve this issue.

Thanks again.
    Joel-H

3. 3 Posted by Brian on 24 Feb, 2011 04:04 AM

Just downloaded and installed video-js today and it doesn't work on my iphone 4 either but works in safari on my mac. The video is an mp4 h.264 mencoder which was converted from a .mov to a .mp4 using ffmpegX.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve Heffernan on 24 Feb, 2011 05:01 PM

Check out this post and make sure how you're encoding will work on the iPhone.
    http://zencoder.com/encoder-blog/2010/09/30/how-to-encode-video-for-mobile-use/

5. 5 Posted by Lou on 09 Mar, 2011 08:46 PM

I am trying to play h.264 encoded .mp4's and have the same problem. If I use code different than yours they play fine on both iPhone and iPad devices. Help? Thanks!

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Steve Heffernan on 10 Mar, 2011 06:13 AM

Check out the link above and make sure the way you're encoding the videos matches the ipad requirements.

7. 7 Posted by Lou Swing on 10 Mar, 2011 04:17 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply again! The video being presented as an .mp4
    is h.264 codec out of Squeeze. When I put the .mp4 in a video tag it
    plays just fine on iPhone and iPad.

Just a note, Safari on Windows has the exact same behavior as Safari on
    the iPad. The iPhone just shows a black square where the video should
    be, nothing else.

Thanks,
    Lou

8. 8 Posted by Joel-H on 10 Mar, 2011 08:52 PM

Hi,
    I've checked all the details of the format, according to this url, thanks Steve Heffernan. The only difference is the fps rate, which is at 25 fps instead of 30. So, i've tried to change this but it doesn't help.

Thanks Lou Swing for your prompt reply. Could you please explain how to set this video tag, which as i understand would solve this issue?

Thanks a lot.

9. 9 Posted by Lou on 10 Mar, 2011 09:23 PM

The video tag is simply a manner to play an .mp4 on Apple devices or Safari ONLY. The tag is the following, it is not used for the javascript code we are discussing here. Put that in the body of a page with your file name...

<video id="myVideo" poster="" width="1280" height="720"
    controls="controls" src="kara.mp4"></video>

Lou

10. 10 Posted by Joel-H on 10 Mar, 2011 10:27 PM

Do i have to tag all my video files that way? because there are lots of files, and i add more files every week :)

Also, could you please show me an example of this video tag? Is it something like:

Thanks Lou.

11. 11 Posted by Lou on 10 Mar, 2011 10:40 PM

That video tag is only for Apple stuff basically if that's all you care about? The tags don't show on the posts here, and it super easy even if you're adding files every day. Just look up html5 video tag.....

http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_video.asp

Lou

12. 12 Posted by Brian on 10 Mar, 2011 10:55 PM

Can you guys remove me from the watch list?

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Steve Heffernan on 10 Mar, 2011 11:12 PM

@Brian, you should be able to click "unsubscribe" in the right column of the page.

14. 14 Posted by Brian on 10 Mar, 2011 11:17 PM

I can't I used the reply box at the bottom without logging into an account so I don't have the unsubscribe option.

15. 15 Posted by Joel-H on 10 Mar, 2011 11:23 PM

Hi again Lou,

Looks easy. My problem is that i'm the one who uploads the movie files to the site. However, someone else does the code part (html, java,...). So, i don't have access to it.
    Besides, this is quite a pain to do for each file, especially when i got several hundreds already :)
    I'm sure there should be another way to solve this, isn't it?

Thanks again, Lou.
    Joel-H.

16. 16 Posted by Lou on 11 Mar, 2011 06:04 PM

Good news, I went back to the original download files and got it working! I was having trouble using the code from scratch. I used your included demo.html file, modified the file names, and perfection, thanks!

Lou

17. 17 Posted by Joel-H. on 12 Mar, 2011 11:08 PM

Sorry Lou, but you lost me.

Please explain yourself, especially how did you got it work.
    Please bare in mind that i've told at first place that playing those same mp4 files from the iphone/ipad work fine, i just can't have them played from this site.

Thanks a lot.
    Joel-H.

18. 18 Posted by Lou on 14 Mar, 2011 03:20 PM

Joel,

I think my last post covered it. Download the video.js files from their site, it's a folder once you get it downloaded. Test it, the demo.html file should play all their videos just fine. Replace the links to their videos with yours, should work fine if your files and file paths are correct, hope that helps...

Lou

19. 19 Posted by Joel-H. on 14 Mar, 2011 03:36 PM

Hi Lou,

If i understand well, you succeeded with my video files (from this site ateretmordechai.org) or with the demo site files? Because, the demo site works fine for me. I'm trying to find out what's wrong with my site.
    If you succeeded with my files, using the demo code, then please explain how to solve the issue. I didn't fully understand you, sorry.

Thanks again.

20. 20 Posted by Lou on 14 Mar, 2011 03:54 PM

The files from the videojs site. If you can get the videojs code, downoaded to your machine and working, then you should be able to implement it into your site. Download the videojs code and work with it, best I can advise, good luck.

21. 21 Posted by Brian J on 14 Mar, 2011 04:09 PM

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2011, at 8:54 AM, "Lou"
    <[email blocked]>
    wrote:

22. 22 Posted by joel-H. on 14 Mar, 2011 10:37 PM

Hi Lou,

Now you're talking. I'll have to catch my web designer and have him check this.

Thanks a lot, especially for your patience :)

Joel-H.

23. 23 Posted by <a href="http:/... on 05 Sep, 2012 03:18 AM

<a href="http://yourhostingclub.com/entry.php?48136-www-forexbroker-info-was-very-successful-in-this-defense-All-who-heard-it-were-in-t">www.forexbroker.info</a>'s Avatar

qualities themselves. With the aid of geometric figures and algebraic position numbered 300 only. Lieut. Shaw's guns were reduced to three. return of a certain legion which he had lent him from his own army at a

24. 24 Posted by kev on 29 Apr, 2013 05:14 AM

hi i had a problem with videos not playing
    i double clicked home button and held the app button untill the minus button came on .this lets you close all runnning apps.i also held the home button and power button untill it powered down and restarted the phone .this fixed the problem on my phone

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Nov, 2014 01:11 PM
25 Nov, 2014 05:34 PM
20 Nov, 2014 04:11 PM